Maggie Daniels was a teacher turned guidance counselor — former Teacher of the Year — originally from the Cleveland area and living in North Carolina. She was found dead in her apartment last Saturday around 10:30am; she was apparently face-down and the only signs of a struggle or misplaced item was a broken mirror on the floor. Cops have been very tight-lipped about this case, although a search of her home was “successful,” without any elaboration. According to some reports, the FBI is involved in the case; I haven’t seen that confirmed everywhere, though. That would be an important distinction because the FBI typically has jurisdiction on state-line cases, and according to the custodian at Daniels’ apartment complex (ostensibly the last person to see her alive, about 22 hours before her body being discovered), she had a boyfriend who lived in South Carolina. If true, I haven’t been able to track down the boyfriend’s name (ideally law enforcement has).
If you check out that 911 call above (embedded), it’s a bit disaffected. There’s no identification other than “a friend of mine” — while referencing another friend in the apartment — and there are de-personalization elements such as “I didn’t want to touch it” (the body). It’s theoretically possible that 1 of the 2 people being referenced on the call (the caller and/or the person he mentions) is connected here as well; maybe there was tremendous guilt after the fact.
Again, all of the above is obviously speculation.
The search warrant has been sealed and autopsy results aren’t being released in this one, so there isn’t much to go on. There are a couple of elements of note, however:
1. She tended to leave her door unlocked; that’s not uncommon in a place like North Carolina, but — and I don’t mean this in an awkward way — that’s never a wise decision for a woman living alone, perhaps especially one with an active social media presence of pretty-attractive selfies. It’s possible someone in the complex became infatuated with her; you kind of saw something similar with the Jonathan Holt case.
2. Similar vein: she was also frequently sunbathing in the complex. Again, possible infatuation developed.
3. The broken mirror angle, which was released to the press. A struggle? A sign that the eventual killer thought she was too self-absorbed? Something to do with drugs? (I saw the latter theory on Jane Velez-Mitchell’s show, but I believe you tend to do drugs off small mirrors, and the description here seemed like a large one.)
4. The boyfriend — there’s some info somewhere on this, because I’ve seen TV spots claiming they were visiting each other twice a month (once each way). Hopefully law enforcement is on this and have determined his deal, if he even exists.
5. Here’s a map of her complex.
It’s pretty much on the same block as this dance club and this night club. Remember: Daniels was last seen Friday around lunchtime by the complex custodian; her body was discovered Saturday morning around 10:30am. The intervening period is, of course, Friday night. That’s a big dance club night, and these places are stumbling distance from the complex. Go back to the unlocked door thing above and you may have something here.
Regardless, hopefully this gets resolved soon. If you hear anything new, post it in the comments — and of course, if it’s relevant, tell the authorities.